Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Things to Avoid When You Have Scoliosis

It was advised by my Chinese treatment doctor that there are some activities or things we should avoid doing to prevent our scoliosis become worsen. The following advise is as follows:  

Wearing high-heels
This is the number one killer for us! Sorry, gals! Although it was sad to hear that, but do you know that wearing high heel shoes can put our posture imbalance. This is the first thing we should avoid to prevent our scoliosis become worsen. I myself had stopped wearing high heels for more than three years when I started my scoliosis treatment.  


Cross your legs
Most people like to cross their legs when they sit, where they will lay one of their leg above another. It looks sexier and effeminate. But crossing the legs will cause your hips' alignment running and put pressure to your spine. Other  risks link to leg crossing including blood flow poorer, varicose veins formation, and back pain incurred. Although I find it uncomfortable not to crossed my legs, but I overcome it by crossing my feet rather than leg which my doctor told me is ok.   

Soft bed and sofa
It is advise to change your soft bed mattress and sofa now if you have scoliosis and back problem. If possible, get yourself to sleep in a wooden bed is the best choice! Why? The hard mattress or bed will keep your center of gravity fixed and your posture will be in a balance state when you sleep. This will also benefit your internal organ to work effectively after a day rest.  

Soda drink
I was advised to stop drinking soda in my whole life. Everyone knows soda drink is bad for health and there are many health issues related to it. And the most important reason for scoliosis person to stop it because it is link to osteoporosis.  

Animal's Milk
Isn't it milk good for our bone and help to prevent osteoporosis? Yes, but not for animal's milk. The shocking news is drinking animal’s milk does not prevent osteoporosis, in fact it can lead to osteoporosis. For details you can visit my previous write up for the dark side of cow's milk article.

Lifting heavy objects with single hand
I believe everyone know this. Lifting heavy objects with single hand will cause your posture asymmetry. If possible, ask someone help for the heavy objects. If not, the proper way to lift heavy objects is to bend your knees with back straight and lift the object with both hands.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much .. it can help me a lot .. now i konw it :)

J Villa said...

If cow's milk doesn't help prevent osteoporosis what does? Any recommendations?

Anonymous said...

Thos is very useful..thank u so much..^^.

Anonymous said...

Also not to carry a heavy bag on your one shoulder , especially the higher shoulder.

Keep exercising and strengthening your muscles to prevent worsening of curvature.

Anonymous said...

No..wonder!!..i always found it odd wearing heels..so i stuck to my flat shoes..that crossing thing will help thanks..inevar knew that,will stop it right away..but what of space and air..i really have a hard time in a crowd or whether some two three people sit close to me ..i feel like iam running out of air. I cant jump ,do certain chores or sit for long.my legs get numb so bad at times i cant even feel them and there is sharp pain in my thigh

Jamie Pong said...

How serious is your curve? Did it compress your lungs? I suggested you can practice some deep breathing exercise. For me, once a while if I have in a position for a long time, I felt unease and have shallow breathing. This is the time I will do some yoga to correct my posture and have deep breathing exercise.